Over Ted Hollamby's four decades in practice, he did more than almost any other architect to change the face of municipal London. He worked for or ran the architects departments of London County Council, Hammersmith, Lambeth and Docklands. The buildings he designed and helped bring about were unmistakably modernist, but he would also help save and restore The Red House in Bexley, designed by William Morris and Phillip Webb.
Edward Hollamby was born in Hammersmith on 8th January 1921. He studied architecture at Hammersmith School of Arts and Crafts, being working for the local authority designing housing projects. After the war, he worked for the Miners Welfare Commission, before moving to the LCC Architects Department, under Leslie Martin. At the LCC he helped design estates such as the Brandon Estate in Kennington and the Pepys Estate in Deptford. In 1963 He moved to work for the Borough of Lambeth, becoming the Director of Architecture, Planning and Development. Under his leadership, Lambeth developed into one of the most innovative boroughs in the capital, producing a range of buildings that used the dominant brutalist style, but with a humane face. Architects like George Finch, Kate Macintosh and Rosemary Stjernstedt designed estates, health centres, libraries and community centres, that kept the residents in the centre of their thinking rather than as an abstract.
In 1981 Hollamby left Lambeth for the London Docklands Development Corporation, where he developed the former industrial area into a mixture of residential and business areas, helping to preserve some of the area's historic buildings. Preservation had always been close to Hollambys heart. In 1952, he and his wife, along with fellow architect Richard Toms and his wife, bought the run down Red House, designed by Phillip Webb for William Morris. The Morris' bought the house outright in 1964, and opened it up to visitors after his retirement in 1985. Ted died in 1999, with his wife Doris passing away in 2003. The house was given to the National Trust, and now opened to the public.
Buildings: Brandon Estate, Brixton Recreation Centre, Central Hill, Edrich House, Lambeth Towers